Friday, August 26, 2011

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

I just finished Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs and I really wanted to like this book.  Perhaps I went into it with my expectations too high?  I don't know.  What I do know is that I expected it to be the story of an adult - I had read a few things about it and knew it was about a boy hearing the fantastical stories of his grandpa's childhood on an island and then when he's grown he goes on an adventure looking for the island himself.  And for some reason I thought that meant he was going to be in his 20s or 30s.  But he's 16.  Which in and of itself is fine, it just takes the story on in a different way than it could have if he had been older.

Anyway without giving anything away, I will just say that there are several things that come up throughout the story that aren't ever explained that bother me.  Like how are they sending and receiving mail?  I'm just curious, because based on the story there is no way that they could be sending each other mail.  I've thought of several possible solutions to this (like a PO Box), but based on what we know of the island they don't make sense with the story.  (If you have any ideas, let me know!)  But the main issue I have is with one particular relationship - I spent most of the book trying not to think about it, because if I did then I found it rather disturbing.  I mean didn't an editor or someone along the way say, "Wait a minute, this is a little too weird.  Let's change it."  Apparently not.  My brother Mike read it a few weeks before me and he felt the same way - if not more so.  And of course it leaves the story hanging, so there's going to be a sequel.  Typical.  I don't think it was good enough to warrant a sequel (or heaven forbid a series!) I think it is a great idea that is a bit forced and not well executed.  I mean I didn't hate the book - I just thought it was OK, but I wanted to love it.  So in the end I am left a little annoyed and pretty sure that I won't be reading the next one.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...