Friday, August 5, 2011

More Than Human

A friend of mine loaned me More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon, telling me that it is a must-read for all sci-fi readers and that it inspired the comic X-Men.  So naturally I decided I had to read it.  It is amazing to me that Sturgeon wrote this book in the 1950s, despite being sci-fi which can really date itself, I found it to be somewhat timeless.  It had to have been so innovative when he wrote it.  Sturgeon definitely writes outside his time.  And I can absolutely see how it would have gone on to inspire stories like X-Men.

I did enjoy it - though I must admit that I liked the 2nd and 3rd sections better than the first and read fast once I got beyond the 1st section.  Though I think part of it was more to do with my reading mood than actually the story.  I don't even want to explain the plot because I don't want to give anything away or ruin the story - but I think that saying it inspired X-Men is a great starting off point.  The point is, if you haven't read this yet - you definitely should.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...